How to Bunny Hop on a Mountain Bike
Learn to Bunny Hop
Learning how to bunny hop on a mountain bike will help you get over obstacles, jump your bike, and it is a fun trick to show your friends!
Before You Bunny Hop…
Learn how to front wheel lift AND rear wheel lift.
Front wheel lift: Bunny hoping requires mastery of both the basic wheel lift and manual wheel lift technique. Make sure to check out the front wheel lift video HERE.
Rear wheel lift: Just like a basic front wheel lift, start in a neutral position with level pedals. Then, stomp your feet down to load the bike and then scoop the pedals while moving your body weight slightly forward to unweight the rear wheel.
Next, try doing a front wheel lift, land in neutral, and then follow with a rear wheel lift. This skill is handy for getting up and over ledges or curbs, but it will also help you prepare for a full-on bunny hop.
Lift Both Wheels at the Same Time!
- Manual front wheel lift. Use the manual front wheel lift to unweight the front wheel and initiate the bunny hop.
- Stand tall. Spring up from the manual position, lifting your chest to the sky. This “grows” your wheel lift and allows it to get as high as possible.
- Claw and scoop. At the height of your front wheel lift, when you’re standing tall, claw and scoop with your feet to bring the rear wheel into the air.
- Push forward. While you’re scooping your pedals, push the bars forward to level the bike.
- Land with both wheels at the same time. The goal is to land with both wheels on the ground at the same time.
Remember, bunny hopping is different from a level lift! Your front wheel should lift before the rear wheel. It looks like you are making the shape of a rainbow with your bike.
Learning to bunny hop will take your riding to the next level. Start by learning the technique, then work on timing by trying to lift your wheels over a stick. Work your way up to larger logs and rocks. This skill is also extremely helpful for pumping and a necessary step before learning how to jump.
Looking to take your mountain biking skills to the next level? Here’s the deal:
The best and quickest way to improve your mountain biking skills is to take a skills clinic with a professional mountain bike instructor. If you’re unsure of your skill level, reaching out to a mountain bike coach in your area is a great place to start. Mountain biking is a dynamic sport – there are many different ways to approach a feature and we may not have covered all of those different ways in this tutorial. Always ride within your limits and do not attempt risky maneuvers when riding alone. Mountain biking is awesome, but does come with inherent risks – be safe, be smart and have fun!