This dynamic duo love cinnamon buns mid-way through their ride. However when it comes to training for big events like Ironmans, cafe stops are not ideal as they need to keep their legs moving for long periods of time.
Throughout this training time, this awesome and athletic pair turn to their trusty ‘Fruit N Oat Bars’...
Find out why they love this delicious snack so much!
“We are both suckers for chocolate. However, chocolate is not your friend when it comes to cycling; due to them melting when kept in your jersey pockets”.
“The two main things we look for in a snack are carbohydrates and calorie content. The oats, honey and dried fruit provide complex and simple carbohydrates to give you a boost when you need it, alongside some slow releasing energy”.
“The coconut oil and flaked almonds also help increase the energy density of the bar. Plus, when you’re riding your body will be using a combination of carbohydrates and fat to fuel the movement.”
“It acts like a sliding scale; there’s carbohydrates for when the intensity increases and fats for when the lower intensity arises. For every human being, this sliding scale will vary and that is why we all fuel differently”.
What you need to make 8 yummy bars:
- 200g Oats
- 40g Flaked Almonds
- 50g Cranberries
- 50g Raisins
- 30g Goji Berries
- 50g Coconut Oil
- 60g Honey
- 100-200ml Almond Milk
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180°c and line a tin with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl mix oats, almonds, cranberries, raisins and goji berries together. Then add the melted coconut oil and honey. Slowly add the almond milk until you have a sticky mixture.
- Tightly pack into the baking tray. This is really key, apply a lot of pressure otherwise your bars will break apart in your hand while riding.
- Cook for 5-15mins depending on how crunchy/gooey you would like it.
- Once cool, cut, wrap and enjoy during your ride!
We hope you all enjoy this delicious and easy-to-make recipe!
If you do decide to make these bars, be sure to take a snap, upload it onto your Instagram and tag us in your posts!
We would also like to say a massive thank you to our wonderful ambassadors, Twice The Health, this recipe is spot on!